BadAss Rebel V2 Series Brushless ESC, 40A
The New BadAss Rebel V2 Series ESC's feature powerful 32-bit Microprocessors and offer a wide range of features.
When BadAss Motors were designed, it was obvious that a top-notch speed controller would be needed to complete the power system package. To this end, Innov8tive Designs partnered with ZTW, a company well known for producing high-quality products, to manufacture the BadAss Speed Controllers. These Speed Controllers are made to our exact specifications to work flawlessly with BadAss Brushless motors and most other popular brands of brushless RC motors. Built from the highest quality components, and using the latest manufacturing processes, these speed controllers are designed to give years of reliable, trouble-free performance.
The new BadAss Rebel V2 Series speed controllers are built with the newest 32-Bit Microprocessors and offer a full set of awesome features. One of the new features that many customers have asked for is the ability to reverse the motor direction, on the fly, at any power setting below 50% throttle. This feature comes in very handy for STOL type airplanes where you want to go to reverse thrust right after landing to reduce the landing roll. These ESC’s are set to be used right out of the package in most applications, but they can also be easily programmed with the optional BadAss Rebel Series V2 LCD Program Card, which is available separately. All the new Rebel V2 ESC’s, with the exception of the 20 and 30-Amp Lite Series, come with battery and motor connectors already installed so they are ready to use right out of the package!
All the Rebel Series ESC’S come with built-in Switching-type BEC circuits to power your model’s receiver and servos. The SBEC in the 20 and 30-Amp Lite versions model provides up to 3 amps of servo current at 6.0 volts. The standard size 20, 30, 40 and 50-amp models include a Switching type BEC that provides up to 4 amps of current, and it user selectable to 5.0 or 6.0 volts. The 45-amp model features a Switching type BEC that provides up to 5 amps of current and has an adjustable output which is factory set to 5.0 volts, but can be changed to 6.0 volts with the LCD Program Card. The 60, 80, 100-amp models include a Switching-type BEC that provides up to 8 amps of current with an output adjustable to 5.0 or 6.0 volts.
The firmware included in the Rebel series ESC’s allows for operation of high-speed motors. Conventional brushless motors that use a 12-slot stator with 14 magnets can be safely run at speeds in excess of 42,000 RPM without missing a beat! Also included is thermal protection for the ESC. If the internal temperature of the ESC exceeds 110C (230F) the ESC will automatically reduce power to the motor to prevent the ESC from being damaged by heat. Another great feature is the Anti-Flyaway protection. If the throttle command signal goes away for more than 2 seconds, the ESC will shut down power to the motor and start sending a series of beep tones to the motor. This acts as a homing beacon, allowing you to easily find a downed aircraft.
The BadAss Rebel Series ESC’s offer a full set of programming options as shown below. These are easily set using the optional LCD Program card. For each parameter, the factory default setting is shown in bold text.
- SMR Function (Software Motor Reversal): OFF / ON This feature allows the user to instantly reverse the motor rotation direction in flight at any throttle setting below 50% throttle. To use this feature, SMR must be turned on, and the single yellow control lead wire needs to be plugged into a 2-position switch channel (such as the retract channel) on the receiver. This feature allows you to greatly shorten the landing roll for a STOL type model or heavy pattern aircraft by instantly reversing the motor direction when the switch is flipped. To activate thrust reversing you must be below 50% throttle, but once activated you have full 100% thrust available if needed by moving the throttle stick up.
- Brake Level: OFF / SOFT / MEDIUM / HARD
- Motor Timing: AUTO / Low (5˚) / Medium (15˚) / High (25˚)
- Motor Rotation Direction: CW / CCW
- Synchronous Rectification (SR Function): ON / OFF
- Number of Battery Cells: Auto Detect / 2S / 3S / 4S / 5S / 6S
- Low Voltage Cutoff Level: OFF / NiXX 50% / NiXX 60% / 3.0V / 3.2V / 3.4V / 3.6V
- Low Voltage Cutoff Type: Reduce Power to 70% / Cut Off Power
- BEC Output Voltage: 5V / 6V (The 20A and 30A Lite Series ESC’s are fixed at 6.0 Volts)
- Motor Acceleration Level: Normal / Soft
Note: The BadAss Rebel ESC’s can be programmed with either Throttle Stick Programming, or by using the optional BadAss V2 LCD Programming Box. The Programming Box makes this process much easier and quicker, with less chance of error.
|BadAss Rebel V2 Series 40A ESC Specifications
|Max Continuous Current||40A|
|Weight with Connectors||48.6 grams (1.71 oz)|
|Dimensions||70mm x 28mm x 10mm (2.75 x 1.10 x 0.39 inches)|
|Battery Lead Size||14 AWG with XT60 Connector Installed|
|Motor Lead Size||14 AWG with 3.5mm Bullets Installed|
|Battery Lead Length||65mm (2.56 in)|
|Motor Lead Length||75mm (2.95 in)|
|Control Lead Length||305mm (12 inches)|
|Operating Voltage Range||6 to 17v|
|Number of LiPo Cells||2 to 4 Cells|
|Number of LiFe Cells||2 to 4 Cells|
|Number of NiXX Cells||6 to 12 Cells|
|BEC Type and Rating||Switching BEC, 5.0 or 6.0V, 4A|